Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Don Jazzy Salutes Sarz

 




Edo-State born Sound Producer, Osaretin Osabuohien, aka Sarz, is fast spreading his reputation as music’s wunderkind producer after dropping a hit track “Beat of Life (Samba)” and being publicly saluted by foremost Nigerian producer, Don Jazzy.
Saying Sarz seats conveniently at the pinnacle of sound production in Nigeria is unarguable and the proof is underlined by his various accomplishments. The producer and sound engineer who is signed to Trybe Records is best known for his mastery of the art of cycling artistes to stardom effortlessly.
Most of Sarz’s productions are club friendly, credible on the ‘streets’ and enjoy massive air play in the media. The list of artistes he has worked with include: late Dagrin, Lord of Ajasa, YQ, Banky W, Reminisce, Wizkid, Jah Bless, eLDee (CEO of Trybe Record), Skales, Naeto C and many others.

However, among the tracks produced by Sarz, one of them, ‘Beat of Life (Samba)’ featuring Wizkid, is presently winning acceptance from the music-loving public. According to Sarz, after he created the beat, many who heard it before release rated the beat as unique, danceable and of international standard. But getting Wizkid to work on it created more ‘magic’.
“After I made the beat, Wizkid came to the studio one day, heard it, loved it and did some singing on it and we got the magic. Working with Wiz was awesome”, the young artiste explained.
But does he have favourites among his many works or a special formula to getting the result he does? “I don’t have a favourite because every time I make beats, I put all my best into the process. My formula is A plus B equals hit songs”.
However, the soft-spoken artiste cannot hide his joy at being able to mastermind the beats for popular ‘Kako bi Chicken’, a hit track he produced for Reminisce. “I love ‘Kako bi Chicken’ because I’m not Yoruba, yet I did justice to the beat”.
Possibly, the beat maker’s talent and rapid growth in the industry are reasons why Don Jazzy, one of the foremost contemporary producers in Nigeria and CEO, Mavin Records, handled over his 2012 Nigeria Entertainment Award (NEA) Producer of the Year trophy to Sarz. The young producer was in that category with Don Jazzy alongside names like Shizzy, Samklef, Jesse Jagz and Cobhams Asuquo. Dramatically, in acknowledgment of Sarz’s remarkable work, Jazzy conceded the trophy to him
Speaking about the gesture, Sarz described the moment as one his greatest moments in life. “It was unbelievable! I was amazed that a great producer like Don Jazzy had seen my struggle and efforts and equally extended me such an endorsement. I really appreciate the gesture and will hold on to the moment dearly”, he declared.
Remembering how he cut his teeth in the Nigeria music industry, Sarz who would have ended up as a software developer; his childhood dream, said: “I stumbled into music because I have always loved it; I began cultivating the habit of memorising beats anytime I hear distinct ones. Even days after listening to certain music, I can still mentally replay most of the beats in my head.
“But, I started the career seriously after a friend of mine brought a music software to my house and I devoted time to master it”, he said.
Sarz remembered he met eLDee in 2009 and a lucrative music partnership started from that time, while also describing the award-winning music star as his boss, brother and friend.
Despite quick success, Sarz said he is not distracted from making newer beats not even minding the plethora of party bangers he has turned out. Surprisingly, for a producer brimming with such tremendous creativity, he found it difficult to pinpoint his source of motivation. “I really can’t tell it. Most times I just get into the studio and do my thing”, he stated jocularly.
The music landscape has seen new talents popping up daily and Sarz attributed the situation to the instant reward that comes with good music. “Lots of people now want to go into sound production because they find it very attractive. Music has been financially attractive and this is the fastest growing industry in Nigeria at the moment”.
But, Sarz would not tolerate that producers are given less prominence, saying they remain the mainstay of artistes. “As far as music is concerned in terms of production, lyrics is 50% and the beat is equally 50%. If you get credit for the lyrics then credits should be given to the beat and the producer”.
Having once been a student of the University of Lagos, Sarz has the aspiration of studying at the Institute of Digital Music in Atlanta, USA, while he plans to rely on the internet to shuttle between studies and the music industry. “Thank God for the internet, I can always do beats and send them to appropriate people”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...